[UPDATED on April 21st, 2009 to reflect the JSON/P additions. Since it’s <24 hours after the initial release, I hope it won’t cause anyone problems.]
The Real URL began as a joke – after discovering, while working on another project, over 80 URL shortening services, I figured there must be room for a service that un-shortens all these URLs. (The web is overflowing with hype and blog posts/articles complaining about it just add to the noise, so it’s better to make your point by building something. My favorite example is the Twittering Office Chair).
Turns out there are already several out there: (eg, trueurl) but I built it anyway, since I had a slightly different approach in mind. The Real URL is meant to be used as a web service rather than on its own. It returns the “real” URL in either raw text, JSON or JSONP format – examples and details are on the homepage. (I added JSON mostly for JSONP, per Chris’ comment – admittedly I didn’t even know it existed ;) This enables cross site JS requests which might actually make The Real URL useful.
While I do want The Real URL to be solid and reliable in the long term, I don’t want to spend much time/money keeping it up. It’s a sustainability issue – building a system that will work reliably over a long time while requiring minimal care and resources. I made a few design decisions to that end:
- Keep it simple (always a good idea). Real URL does only one thing and is accessible in only one way (the homepage demo uses XHR to access the service, to keep it so). It now supports text/JSON/JSONP, but it’s just the same output formatted differently. Sometimes you give up some elegance to make the product useful. As in the following item:
- Deploy with Google’s App Engine. Initially it was nice, super-minimal Sinatra code. Unfortunately Google App Engine doesn’t support Ruby yet and there’s no service that offers comparable cost/stability ratio, so I rewrote in slightly less minimal Python for GAE.
- Use App Engine’s domain (therealurl.appspot.com). Buying a domain and keeping it renewed isn’t a big deal, but it still requires some attention – especially if you happen to hit a nice domain name which people try to grab or piggyback on. Sticking with appspot.domain minimizes this issue. (if the need rises I might add a “real” domain later on, but in any case therealurl.appspot.com will remain active)
If you find a use for The Real URL this or have an idea for one, please comment here or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let the street find its own uses etc ;)